My Dreamsnatcher Playlist
1. To get me fired up for a day of writing: Let it Go from Disney’s Frozen
2. When I want to introduce a bit more magic into the plot: Flying by James Newton Howard – from the most recent Peter Pan movie
3. The last few chapters of my book are pretty tense and I wrote them to this song: Narnia battle theme – from the more recent Narnia movie
4. I reward myself with this song after I’ve written a good chase scene: Septimus by Ilan Eshkeri – from the Stardust soundtrack
5. When I’m editing the book and need all my concentration to get it just right: Silence (anything else is distracting)
6. When I want inspiration: BBC Narnia Aslan’s Theme by Geoffrey Burgon (possibly the most magical sounding thing OF ALL TIME)
7. Standard writing day music: anything by Ludovico Einaudi
8. When I’m tired but know I have to write anyway: I’ve Come Home from the Spirit movie
9. When I’m willing Moll on to be brave against Skull: Spark Inside Us from The Princess & The Goblin movie
10. If I were ever to write a kissing scene (at the moment I can’t imagine my characters getting to that point!) I would write it to this song: Storybook Love by Mark Knopfler – The Princess Bride
1. Northern Lights by Philip Pullman
2. The Diddakoi by Rumer Godden
3. Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver
4. Skellig by David Almond
5. The Worst Witch series by Jill Murphy
6. The BFG by Roald Dahl
7. Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
8. The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe by CS Lewis
9. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
10. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Top 10 Desert Island Reads
Abi Elphinstone Q&A
Abi answers your questions about her inspiration for The Dreamsnatcher
SKY SONG - CHARACTERS
I want to tell you who I am, I really do, but the truth is: I don't know. The Ice Queen stole my memories the day she locked me in her cursed music box. And every day she makes me dance in her frozen palace I wonder: did I have a family before all this? Did I have friends? Did I belong to one of the tribes scattered across the kingdom of Erkenwald? One day I'll break free from this music box and I'll find out who I am and why the Ice Queen is so desperate to steal my voice...
I belong to the Fur Tribe. In fact, my big brother, Tomkin, is Chief now Ma is locked up in Winterfang Palace. But I plan to rescue her soon. I've got a sled, a pack of huskies and one or two magical inventions up my sleeve. Don't tell Tomkin that though - he thinks magic can't be trusted. I'll show him. With my Anything Knife and Camouflage Cape I can sneak past the Tusk guards and the Ice Queen's spells to set things right.
I'm an Arctic fox pup and I spend most of my time curled up inside Flint's hood. The rest of my time is spent eating (I'm very greedy) and playing with Flint's little sister, Blu. Oh, and I burp a lot. Mostly because of all the eating I do, but a little bit because it makes Blu giggle, too.
I'm Flint's little sister. When I speak my words come out all jumbled and many people who meet me think I'm stupid and slow and not worth bothering about. But just because I'm different doesn't mean I don't count. It doesn't mean I don't have ideas and plans and ways to help my big brother, Flint, on his quest to rescue Ma and beat the Ice Queen. You see, I'm actually pretty brave and useful when it comes down to it. Oh, and I'm a good little skiier, too.
I'm a golden eagle and I can bend the wind to suit my purpose. The skies are my playground and up there I soar and glide and dive and swoop. Usually my kind keep to themselves but there's somebody out there who needs my help and I'm going to give her every feather-clawed ounce of fight I have. Because Erkenwald belongs to the tribes and and the wild beasts, not an Ice Queen determined to drain it of hope.
The Ice Queen
I wear a gown of frozen tears and a crown of snowflakes, I can hex wolverines into my power and I own a cursed organ made entirely of icicles. I will have Eska's voice - no matter what it takes - and with it I will tear down the Sky Gods and claim my immortality.